Saturday, October 08, 2011

GETTING WHAT WE DON'T DESERVE

Acts 12:18-19a
In the morning, there was no small commotion among the soldiers as to what had become of Peter. After Herod had a thorough search made for him and did not find him, he cross-examined the guards and ordered that they be executed.
Peter had been rescued from prison, and possibly the same fate as James, by an angel of the Lord. According to Roman custom, guards who "let" their prisoner escape (in this case Peter) received the same punishment or penalty as their prisoner. As a result, you can imagine what high level of care a soldier would have placed into guarding his prisoner (to avoid the same fate). I sometimes struggle with what appears to be the unfairness -- in human terms -- of things that happen in Scripture. I'm sure the guards did nothing wrong, yet they were executed nonetheless.

Have you ever been punished for something you didn't do? It's hard to think of a recent incidence because rarely does that happen. Instead, most of the time we escape from justifiable punishment because no one has caught us doing what we did wrong. Think that doesn't apply to you? For the next week when you drive your car, count the number of times you break a law (excessive speed, illegal u-turn, following too closely on the freeway, etc.). Then count how many tickets you received for these violations. I think you will be grateful you didn't get what you deserved for each and every violation.

As Christians, we probably have a higher developed sense of gratitude for not getting what we deserve because we start from the perspective that we are all sinners and therefore need a Savior. So when I get punished for something I didn't do, I usually try to abate my anger by counting off all the things I did that I didn't get caught doing. But let's face it, sometimes it seems a little unfair when, as in our passage today, we see the soldiers executed for allowing Peter to escape when it was no fault of their own. Or a lot unfair when a child is born in Africa with AIDS. I wish I had a nice, neat explanation for why God allows bad things to happen to people, but I don't. All I do know is unfair things do happen, and sooner or later it's going to happen to you no matter how "good" a Christian you are. Are you ready to trust God in all circumstances?
My favorite Bible verse for dealing with a difficult or unfair situation is Romans 8:28 "And we know that in ALL THINGS [my emphasis] God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." I have this one and numerous other verses memorized so when (not if) I run into a problem, I can call upon and find comfort in one of God's promises. What about you? What are your top Bible verses for dealing with hardship, loss, worry, sickness, or death? If you don't have any, let me encourage you to start a list today. Begin with Romans 8:28.

pocketpower.org

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home