Wednesday, December 27, 2006

MUSIC IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER

How can a musical note be inherently good or bad? Aren’t note’s just a matter of pitch variation, tonal vibration, compressions and decompressions of air?

These two questions of the beginning of an article called “Battle for Christians Music” by Tim Fisher. And if you would like to read the article e-mail us and we will send it to you.

As I read the article I looked again at those two questions and came to the conclusion that the very evidence he presents as to why this is not Christian Music is the very evidence that points to it as being Christians music.

Mr. Fisher is quite direct in his choice of music. And there is nothing wrong with that. I prefer the modern music, and also love the old classics. I have a hard time understanding the hip-hop and rap gospel, but that is my problem, and does not make it wrong.

Fisher’s focus is on the melody, rhythm and harmony. Yeah, you do need those to make music and a song. He also compares two people in the kitchen. One who does not know how to cook and one who does.

Well, Mr. Fisher I am what you would probably call tone deaf. I love singing and I am sure God enjoys my singing. Being honest most other people don’t enjoy my singing as much as I do. This would seem to be neither here nor there, but I do write songs. And though I cannot sing I can direct others how to sing what I write. The non-cooking one in the kitchen!

His statements throughout tell what and how music is formatted. Just because it is not your taste does not make it wrong.

The theme song of The Twilight Zone does not make me feel like praising God. And we are all familiar with the eerie sounds that movies play as they near a cemetery or spooky house. They honestly do not nor would sound right to ‘God be the Glory.’

So Mr. Fisher I agree there is music that is not up lifting to God. But for hip-hop and rap and whatever else you want to include on your list. It is not the beat but the words that make the song. And those words are made up of letters, which as you state the letter E is neither good nor bad. PraisE the Lord or I hate God. You choose how that letter is used in a word. You could have as easily used the sentence I hate the devil. [But aren’t we told to love everything that God created; we can rebuke- it does not say hate-but that is another story.]

So if I have a rap song saying:
Praise Praise Praise
The Lord, Jesus
Jesus, Jesus
Praise His Name
and if that causes me to move in a certain way…wait a minute…is that the real problem, how we move to the music?

Let me see, I hope and believe all ages do read my articles. So I will address all ages, or at least try my best.

I love to dance for and with the Lord. Sometime the music is up beat and fast, but I do not do the dog or pop my hoochie to the Lord. Slow dance, well sometime I dance throughout the entire house and yes church in a soft flowing movement. At times at home I step into the embrace of my Savior and with my head on His chest and His arms around me I move slowly in His love. I do not press my breast into His chest or grind into Him, or back into Him and rub.

You say take the words away and people will move to the music, true very true. And in the world I moved as one with the world. As a Christian I move as one paying reverence to the Lord.

The words make the song, and yes the music can make the song. It all comes down to how we interpret it. Some is easy such as spooky music. But for the most part it is the words to the music that make it good or bad.

Just as some liked Bach and some did not, it is the same now. If the music and words are uplifting God Almighty, then each to his or her own. Praise the Lord- and you can set that to whatever music rocks your boat.

God Bless
rECj

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home