Friday, May 11, 2007

SATURDAY EDITORIAL

'Sometimes when I see those reverent arrangements of Bible, candles and draped cloth so popular in religious centers, I am reminded of stuffed birds under a Victorian-era glass dome, little bodies protected from damage but no longer living and vital. You can do the same to the Bible, treating it with such care and reverence that the life is drained away.

Do not approach the Bible with too much deadening piety. These are lively stories about robust people searching for God, and we must be just as robust in our own search. Ask questions, argue back, and don't be content until you have nutted out an answer for yourself. This is the way to God.'

I found the above quote, doesn’t it say a lot? We have all been to someone’s home and in my area it carries over into the yard, there is the statue of Mary or a saint and at night it is lit up. You go into the homes and here are these beautiful Bibles all open to some verse marked with a ribbon and the candles and statues all around. Every thing is “scared” and untouched.

Both of our Bibles, well to put it lightly are worn. The new study Bible of the New Testament I bought about a month ago has post-em stick ups sticking out from the sides, the top and the bottom, mulit-colored. My two older Bibles have at least three colors of ink and 5 different high lighters. I start off using one color for a subject, and then my grandson borrows it for an art project and I just use whatever is handy. Whatever I have handy is used for a marker, and that includes paper, cloth and thread. Yes if it is handy it is good for a marker.

Since LJG and I have not seen each other in 35 years I don’t know just how she marks hers, but I know it is. We each have our own way of doing things. And so should you. I remember one time a Pastor said to take everything out of your Bible, it is not a filing cabinet. I wanted to ask him, did that include the notes from his sermon that I had to review what he was talking about.

If I am writing an article I usually have a legal pad sticking out. I just close the Bible on it and when I go back, everything is right there.

One thing I do not do is sit anything on top of a Bible, unless it is another Bible. I believe I told this story before, but it bears repeating. Grandpa Carter used to tell us if you set something on the Bible the next thing you know you will forget where it is, cause you just keep setting stuff on it. The Bible is there to be read, study and used. In him and Granny’s room on each side of the bed was a nightstand with their Bible on it. A few other Christian study aids, their glasses and that was it. Nothing else was set on those stands. First thing in the morning and the last thing at night that Bible was read.

We start and end our day in His Word.

Oh what a joy
To live our lives for Him
In Him we see the beauty
Of a life some see with pain
In Him we feel compassion
Only a loving God can give
In Him we know
We shall see tomorrow
In Him we have life
Everlasting
In Him we can hide
In the shadow of His wings
In Him we can walk
Where many dare not thread
In Him we have joy
That might look foolish in times of trails
In Him we have the Promises
That was passed to us through His Son

What a joy to know my Father
And to know my Father knows me
To know that He loves me
Deeper then any love I can return

What a joy to have a relationship with Jesus each and every day of our life’s. Don’t you want to have the knowledge that He is there no matter what? To know in your heart that He is your father and loves you so much He sent His only Son to die for you. Oh to know that someone loves me so deep, so everlasting. My joy is in the Lord and I love Him, but never will my love reach the depth of the love He has for me.

My Bible is marked in so many colors.

God Bless
rECj/LJG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home