Sunday, September 30, 2007

SUNDAY EDITORIAL

Luke 17: (5) And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. (6) And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you. (7) But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat? (8) And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink? (9) Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not. (10) So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do

Where does Christian charity start and end? Actually what is Christian charity? I want us to look again at verse ten. As Christians we are to have a certain kind of attitude. Christ tells us to do everything possible to be as this servant, without expecting anything in return. By doing our duty, expecting no recognition, we are presenting a humble attitude.

Galatians 6:9,10 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. It says ..do good to all…yes is does continue to say especially to, but it does not say only to the household of faith.

James 4:17 Therefore to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. If we look at verses 11 and 12 it tells us if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge, and there is one Lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy, who are you to judge another.

We are to do good to others, not because we expect anything in return, but because as Christians we are instructed to do so. God is our only judge, not man. We are also responsible for our actions and not the actions of others, even if they claim to be Christians.

Today happened to be a very busy day for us at work. A co-worker just returned to work after a week stay in the hospital and a week at home to rest. He is an older gentleman and had been bit by a tick. I was concerned for him, knowing it was his first day back and at one point walked up to him and said I don’t mean to be rude, but don’t do much clean up, I will get it when I get back from lunch. There were others working and I thought they would also help, knowing he had just returned, to lighten his load. One is a Christian the other is not.

I returned to find him alone and doing just what I knew he would do and shouldn’t be doing. Of the others, well I am not their judge. And at what I felt at the moment they can be thankful I am not.

I told the man, not to do anything else I would get it. He said don’t you want me to do this. I looked at him and said no I have it. When it was time for him to leave I could tell he was tired. We talked for a few moments and I told him, I did not mean to hurt his feelings, but I knew it was his first day back, and he had been off two weeks. That is when he looked at me and said I am going home to my bed. The man was tired.

Could others have helped to lighten his load? Yes, and the fact that another Christian didn’t hurt me. His beliefs didn’t matter; this is a kind hearted, hard working man. But the idea that someone Christian or not could stand by and not offer to help, or even better just do what needed to be done, well it hurt me.

I didn’t do what I did for a pat on the back, or rewards. I didn’t do it because he is my brother in the Lord. I did it because he was a person in need of some help. Maybe he is a bother and this was God’s way of letting him know He cares about him. Maybe he isn’t and it is God’s way of opening a door for us to talk. Whatever God has planned I do know that God will see it through.

The point though is I did what Jesus would do, I helped out someone, without expecting anything in return. I can almost hear LJG saying well heck are we supposed to say God what do I get for doing this, that is just plain stupid. I love LJG and yes I do know pretty much what she will say most of the time. And if I am wrong, well then she will just add her 2 cents at the bottom. But, if we expect something in return for what we do, then we are in fact setting a price on our good acts, from God.

Hey God how much for this one? Yes, it sounds stupid. What is Christian charity? It is reaching out to help others in need. Freely doing something for someone because it is the right thing to do. Where does it start and end? Anywhere that God plants a desire in your heart to do for others.

Have a blessed Sunday and if you see someone that needs a hand, remember Who has been holding yours.

I have more than 2 cents to add, but that will be next Saturday's Editorial from me.

God Bless
rECj/LJG

SCRIPTURE FOR TODAY
Mat 6:4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home