Wednesday, October 26, 2011

WHY DID I OPEN THE DOOR

WHY DID I OPEN THE DOOR?
We have all seen them; they usually come in groups, Bible in hand, ready to save the world. This group was from a church that I had left years before most of them were born. What made me open the door I do not know; maybe just maybe I wanted to see was it the same, had nothing changed in all those 30 years?
They asked did I know of the church. I told them yes I had been a member, and why I had left. The conversation came to clothes. The young woman proceeded to tell me that we were not to wear men’s clothing. I asked what was worn in Bible times, to which we both said robes. Nevertheless, she insisted there was a different. Now I thought I had her. Yes a difference. I asked her did I look like a man with my pants, ‘No, she told me.’ Good they are women’s pants I said. No she continued, you are not to wear them.
People men and women wore robes back in Biblical days. There was a difference between them but they were both robes. Those differences would let you know if it was for a man or for women. Like buttons on a shirt, or the fly on pants.
Just for fun, I looked up the style of clothing and I am going to explain what they wore and the differences to you.
The inner tunic: for both men and women it was a long garment , for women reaching to the ankles, for men a undergarment for the upper body, but sometimes reaching to the ankles.
The tunic-coat or ketonet : a full length garment, usually with long sleeves; women usually had a finer quality and it was enhanced with needlework and/or multicolor threads.
The belt or girdle: Now we see a real difference men’s were of leather; women of colorful silk or wool, many times with a fringe nearly to the ankles.
The cloke or mantle: a robe worn over all other clothing for warmth; women usually more intricate.
The headdress: Worn chiefly as protection from the sun; women lighter, finer, and more colorful.
Shoes or sandals: shoes, soft leather; sandals, harder leather.
What a big difference? I do not know about you but it seems the women got finer material, and more colorful material then the men. But, now you know I would have to go there. Isn’t there a young man in the Old Testament who had a coat of many colors. In other words women wear dresses, and men wear pants that open to the other side!!
As to why I opened the door? I really have no sane answer, maybe from being bored. But i did tell them to please just leave after she told me they both wore robes, but no women are not to wear pants.
God Bless
recj/LJG

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home