Friday, April 13, 2007

#1a_How to Study the Bible--Memorize Scipture

Memorizing Scripture has many benefits. In Joshua 1:8 the Lord tells Joshua,

(Josh 1:8 KJV)
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth;
but thou shalt meditate therein day and night,
that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein:
for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous,
and then thou shalt have good success.

Our spiritual prosperity will be greatly affected by our diligence to meditate upon and obey God's word. Memorization is a means to meditation. As we memorize, Scripture, we can then meditate on it and apply it to our lives.
15 reasons to memorize Scripture:

1) HELPING IN AVOIDING SIN
(Psa 119:11 KJV)
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

2) COMFORT IN AFFLICTION
(Psa 119:50 KJV)
This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.

3)SPIRITUAL LIFE
(Psa 119:93-94 KJV)
I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me.
{94} I am thine, save me; for I have sought thy precepts.

4) WISDOM
(Psa 119:98-100 KJV)
Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
{99} I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
{100} I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.

5) DELIGHT
(Psa 119:103-104 KJV)
How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
{104} Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.


6) GUIDANCE
(Psa 119:105-106 KJV) NUN.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
{106} I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.

7) HOPE
(Psa 119:114-115 KJV)
Thou art my hiding place and my shield:
I hope in thy word.
{115} Depart from me, ye evildoers:
for I will keep the commandments of my God.

8) PEACE
(Psa 119:164-165 KJV)
Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments.
{165} Great peace have they which love thy law:
and nothing shall offend them.

9) A HEART OF WORSHIP
(Psa 119:171-172 KJV)
My lips shall utter praise, when thou hast taught me thy statutes.
{172} My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

10) FREEDOM
(John 8:31-32 KJV)
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him,
If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
{32} And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.


11) MAKES SCRIPTURE READLIY AVAILABE TO TEACH, WITNESS TO, ENCOURAGE OR REPROVE OTHERS

(2 Tim 3:16-17 KJV)
All scripture is given by inspiration of God,
and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
{17} That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

12) INCREASED FAITH
(Rom 10:17 KJV)
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

13) VICTORY OVER TEMPTATION
(Mat 4:3-4 KJV)
And when the tempter came to him, he said,
If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
{4} But he answered and said, It is written,
Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

(This is from the account of Jesus' temptation in the wilderness. Jesus answered each of Satan's temptations by saying, 'It is written...' then quoting a Scripture from memory.)

14) CONFIDENCE IN PRAYER
(1 John 5:13-15 KJV)
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God;
that ye may know that ye have eternal life,
and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
{14} And this is the confidence that we have in him,
that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
{15} And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask,
we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.


15) TO IMITATE JESUS EXAMPLE-Jesus often quoted Scripture, for example,

WHEN TEACHING
(Mat 5:21-22 KJV)
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time,
"Thou shalt not kill; (Ex 20:13)
and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: " (Gen 9:6)
{22} But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:
and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council:
but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

WHEN TEMPTED
(Mat 4:3-4 KJV)
And when the tempter came to him, he said,
If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
{4} But he answered and said, It is written,
"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." (Deut 8:3)

WHEN CONFRONTING THE PHARISEES

(Mat 9:11-13 KJV)
And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples,
Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?
{12} But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them,
They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
{13} But go ye and learn what that meaneth,
" I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: " (Hos 6:6)
for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

AND WHEN EXPLAINING THE PARABLES TO THE DISCIPLES

(Mark 4:11-12 KJV)
And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God:
but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
{12} "That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand;" (Deut 29:4)
lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them. (Isa 29:10)

IXTHEUS CHRISTIAN GROWTH DEVOTIONALS
ALWAYS FREE OF CHARGE
(but not necessarily free of COST)
Feel free to redistribute these materials to whomever you want.
Please submit all questions, comments, suggestions,
requests for archived devotionals on Biblical topics
or REQUESTS FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS to
ixtheus@execpc.com

Request a free email copy of my evangelistic presentation:
"The God Who is Really There" from ixtheus@execpc.com

God's Blessings to each of you,
rECj/LJG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home