Monday, March 29, 2010

PROVERBS 13:24

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him that chasteneth him betimes.

I searched and could not find the word spareth in any on-line dictionary. I believe though if you look through the meanings given for the word spare found in the Bible dictionary you can draw your own conclusions as to the meaning of the word.

SPARE
1. To use frugally; not to be profuse; not to waste. Thou thy Father's thunder did'st not spare.
2. To save or withhold from any particular use or occupation. He has no bread to spare, that is, to withhold from his necessary uses. All the time he could spare from the necessary cares of his weighty charge, he bestowed on prayer and serving of God.
3. To part with without much inconvenience; to do without. I could have better spar'd a better man. Nor can we spare you long-
4. To omit; to forbear. We might have spared this toil and expense; Be pleas'd your politics to spare.
5. To use tenderly; to treat with pity and forbearance; to forbear to afflict, punish or destroy. Spare us, good Lord. dim sadness did not spare celestial visages. But man alone can whom be conquers spare.
6. Not to take when in one's power; to forbear to destroy; as, to spare the life of a prisoner.
7. To grant; to allow; to indulge. Where anger Jove did never spare one breath of kind and temp'rate air.
8. To forbear to inflict of impose. Spare my sight the pain of seeing what a world of tears it cost you.
I think you will understand why I included those meanings as you continue to read. Following are Commentaries by some of the leading teachers of the Bible.
Matthew Henry
He acts as if he hated his child, who, by false indulgence, permits sinful habits to gather strength, which will bring sorrow here, and misery hereafter. (Pr 13:25)
24. He acts as if he hated his child, who, by false indulgence, permits sinful habits to gather strength, which will bring sorrow here, and misery hereafter.
John Gill
Verse 24. He that spareth his rod hateth his son,.... Who withholds or withdraws his rod of correction, which is in his hand, which he has power to use, and ought to exercise at proper times; he, instead of loving his son, may be said to hate him; for such fond love is no better than hatred; and, if he really hated him, he could scarcely do a more ill thing by him than not to correct him for a fault; which was the sin of good old Eli, and both he and his sons suffered for it;

but he that loveth him; that has a true love for his son, and a hearty concern for his welfare and future good; he will regulate his affections by his judgment, and not give way to a fond passion, to the prejudice of his child: but he

chasteneth him betimes, or "in the morning" {x}; in the morning of his infancy, before vicious habits are contracted, or he is accustomed to sinning, and hardened in it; or as soon as a crime is perpetrated, before it is forgot or repeated: or every morning, as Jarchi and Aben Ezra; that is, continually, as often as it is necessary, or as faults are committed.

Jamieson
24. spareth--or, "withholds."
rod--of correction.
hateth--or, acts as if he hated him (compare Pr 3:12; 8:36).
chasteneth . . . betimes--or, "diligently seeks for him all useful discipline."

Matthew Henry
Note, 1. To the education of children in that which is good there is necessary a due correction of them for what is amiss; every child of ours is a child of Adam, and therefore has that foolishness bound up in its heart which calls for rebuke, more or less, the rod and reproof which give wisdom. Observe, It is his rod that must be used, the rod of a parent, directed by wisdom and love, and designed for good, not the rod of a servant. 2. It is good to begin betimes with the necessary restraints of children from that which is evil, before vicious habits are confirmed. The branch is easily bent when it is tender. 3. Those really hate their children, though they pretend to be fond of them, that do not keep them under a strict discipline, and by all proper methods, severe ones when gentle ones will not serve, make them sensible of their faults and afraid of offending. They abandon them to their worst enemy, to the most dangerous disease, and therefore hate them. Let this reconcile children to the correction their good parents give them; it is from love, and for their good, Heb. 12:7- 9.

Yes, I cut and paste. Now that you have read all that, which I could not have said better, now lets us get to the point of this. What may I ask you do you think God in all His wisdom and Glory should do to us? We whom He has chosen to be His heirs and we whom have asked Him to come into our life's, how can we not expect Him to chasten us? How can we not accept the chastisement that we many times bring on ourselves?

I am not one of those that believes God does bad things to good people. I am speaking here of chastisement when we are doing wrong. I could name a number of things that God brought to my attention, and I thank Him for it. Did it hurt, yes. Was I ashamed to go before Him, certainly? But go I did and He continues to love me. Repent and go forward. God does not chastise out of anger but out of love.
It is us that refuse to accept that we are being chastised and think we are being wrongly punished that are hurting ourselves. How many have spanked a child to have the child say I hate you? I don't know of a single child that has said I love you while getting a spanking or right after. But like my grandson, later he will come to me and say I love you, I was wrong, I shouldn't have done that.

God corrects me because He loves me more than I could ever love myself, or Him.

God Bless Indeed
recj/ljg

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home